No family get-together at my mom’s is complete without her orange salad. She’s been making it for years, and it has become one of those dishes we look forward to whenever we’re there for dinner. I just made this for my daughter’s birthday, and she says it’s better than cake. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 3 oz. pkg. vanilla cook & serve pudding
- 3 oz. pkg. tapioca cook & serve pudding
- 3 oz. pkg. orange gelatin
- 8 oz. tub Cool Whip
- 15 oz. can mandarin oranges
- 3 c. hot water
- This recipe serves about 6 people.
- Pour 3 cups of hot water into a medium saucepan.
- Empty the packages of vanilla and tapioca pudding, and orange gelatin into the saucepan. (Do NOT make according to the package instructions.) Turn the heat to medium-high and heat until boiling, stirring constantly.
- Once it starts boiling, continue to stir for about 30 seconds, then remove from heat. (The mixture will thicken as it heats, and will continue to thicken as it cools down.)
- Empty the mixture into a glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or make it first thing in the morning and it will be ready to go by dinner time. My rule of thumb is an 8 hour cooling time.
- Once it is completely cooled, fold in the Cool Whip.
- Drain the juice/syrup from the mandarin oranges, then fold in the oranges, making sure everything is completely incorporated.
Serve cold, and enjoy!
Featured at: GCH: What’s on Your Plate?